Friday, August 14, 2009

Burial plot

"Well... we are still registered at our home church and have our burial plot so were all set!"
This was the word that came out of a lovely women when asked about her relationship with God.

I was finishing up at the eye doctor when I noticed an elderly couple. The man was asked his date of birth .. 1920 was his answer... wow. I hope to still be alive and with my spouse at that age. What beauty!

The couple then tried repeatedly to call for a taxi,.. but none were available.

As I overheard the couple contemplating walking home, in 33 C heat plus humid, I offered to drive them home. This is when I love our 8 passenger van.

As I had the couple buckled in and driving away from the clinic, they pointed out the big old church where I grew up. That is all I need to realize that this was more then driving them home,... it was a opportunity to guide them HOME. Home where we will live forever.

I asked them if they went to church... one said yes, and one said no.

They were disappointed about not presently attending a church... but felt content with life and that they were still registered member of a church 3 hours away, and had buried plots there. To them it meant everything was done and sealed in place.

I told them " well, ... who knows I could die in a few hours,... you never know how things will turn out, but the fact is that likely you will be facing that time before me and you need to be ready for the reality of heaven or hell. You better know your God." Yes, those are the words that came out of my mouth, as this elderly couple were buckled up in my van. I can hardly believe I was this blunt,.. the bluntness opened up a great conversation.

Turns out they moved here three years ago, and have not gone to church since then. They don't drive. They just found it to hard to get to church. I asked them if they had ask people to drive them. They said "No, but no one has offered." I asked again,.. "have you asked", they again said "but no one has offered." I then asked why they had not asked... Silence.... The wife said I guess I should.

How often do we shy away from asking people if they need help? How many people could we be helping but think they are doing fine? Flip side, how many time are we uncomfortable to ask for help? How many times do we miss out on receiving love because we are to shy to reach out? Oh! how many opportunities I have missed over the years.

I asked the couple to consider opening up the phone book, and praying asking God to show them which churches to call. Then to call those church until they find one willing to drive them to and from church. They agreed to this, gave me their first and last name that I might pray for them, and then gave me the warmest hugs I have received in a long time. A hug that screamed THANK YOU.

THANK YOU GOD for allow me to take the time in my busy days for being an instrument for you.

All of this made me remember the elder man who attend my church and who lives on my street. I have been assuming that he would call if he needed a ride, but I guess I should call him!

1 comment: