Thursday, April 23, 2009

Tell me about the Bread

I was feeling pretty crummy today. This was due to many factors: Daniel woke up with a low grade fever, so I was concern he would have a seizure; We had a parent meeting at Jacob school (yes, he is going to Junior kindergarten in Sept.) and it just minded me of all the concerns regarding that next step; Esther is simply enjoying challenging me on what seems like ever front; and I simply feel yucky/run down.
We played outside this afternoon. I let the kids make mud in the sand box, this lifted everyone moods. Once changed from getting all wet, me included, we decided to make cookies for daddy. I decided to make a triple batch. I decided to have Jacob help me figure out what 1/4 of a cup of flour was times 3. We used the white board to draw out the fractions and figures it out. Then as I was busy mixing the goods together, Jacob said "Mommy, tell me about the bread". I thought he had said the "red" as we had used the new blue dry-erase marker as opposed to the new red dry-erase marker. But no, he meant the bread. I finally figure it out by his actions: He was standing with his arms over his head and his hands pretending to hold a host. I clued in! "Oh, you mean Jesus" . Then a conversations I didn't expect to have for some time to come happen.
Jacob: Well, it's bread. Jesus is in it, but it's bread, it's not Jesus. Jesus is in the bread. and the cup in not Jesus, Jesus is in it. ... right.
Me: (in oh God is this really happening mind frame) I drop everything I was doing, got down on my knees (dual purpose: to look him straight in the eyes, and as a prayer) "Jacob, when the priest say those words at mass the bread becomes Jesus. Jesus is not in the bread, the bread is Jesus. It is Jesus. It only looks like bread."
Jacob: "why"
Me: (asking for help)... "because some people at mass might get scared (actually I yelled a sound of scared) if they saw Jesus as he, so because Jesus loves us so much he lets us see him as bread. But it's Jesus."
Jacob: "Thank you, Mommy. for telling me about the bread." ) a pause... and then he imitated my sound a scared people and ran into the other room.
I was left in a state of "did this really happen"...

then tonight at the dinner table Jacob started using scenarios of if A does this B will do that, then C will have to do that,... if A does this to B, B will do this A,... ect... Daddy smiled and played with him with the concepts of algebra ... and I just laughed my head off.... it was great.

A cute Daniel story:
After returning from our evening walk in which him and his sister were strapped against their will in the stroller and their older brother rod a tricycle, Daniel asked to have the other tricycle to ride around in the yard. Sure, I got it out for him and sat back down in my chair. He came to get me by the hand and walked me to wear we keep the bike helmets and demand to have a helmet put on his head, as Jacob had on his head when he was riding the tricycle.

Some other great Daniel things: He said his name last week, and he pucker his lips for a kiss today. Praise God. These are two things that were a huge challenge for him.

A cute Esther story:
Yesterday morning, I fought with her about bring her plate and utensils to the counter once she was finished the meal. I actually had to physically help her do it. but... when she was done lunch... she took her bowl, when to the garbage can and started scrapping the leftover food into the garbage can and the proceed to putting her things on the counter. There is hope.

1 comment:

  1. What awesome stories! Thanks for sharing your conversation with Jacob. Those are precious opportunities, aren't they?

    I have to laugh at the concept that Esther can scrape her plate and take it to the counter, even if only once! Simon, older than her but with a few muscular difficulties, totally would not grasp that, nor could he physically do it! He's rather good at throwing his cups and plates, and I'm guessing it will be awhile before we get him to help out much. He'll get there.

    I'm glad you guys are doing better over there, though I'm sorry you had such a rough day. I prayed so much for you through the scary doctor's visits, and I'm only sorry that we weren't close enough to physically help out. I hope you all stay well.

    ReplyDelete