Friday, April 10, 2009

What does Good Friday mean?

This conversation occurred yesterday (Holy Thursday).


I was busy in the kitchen, when Jacob says "What does Good Friday mean?"

Wow... I have been reading books about spirituality in children. They all say that the child lead moments are the best ones. Here was a child lead moment... I drop everything I was doing, got on my knees to be at Jacob's level... I started... I can't remember excatly what I said (wish I did) but here is about how it went.

Mommy: "Good Friday is the day we remember that Jesus died on the cross for our sins."
(simnple enought right, no.)
Jacob: '"what does that mean?"
Mommy: (oh God help me!) Jesus dying on the cross for our sins means that...
can you tell me one thing that you know you should not do...
Jacob: " hit or pinch" (presently both problems in our home)
Mommy: "right, so right now you know your not suppose to hit or pinch, and you do it anyways. That is a sin. Sin is something you do even when you know your not suppose to do it. You know how Mommy or Daddy gives you a time out when you hit or pinch."
Jacob: (head knotting yes)
Mommy: Well God gives time out, too. If you know you should not pinch and pinch. Then that is a sin and God gives time-out for sins. One from Mommy or Daddy that you have to do, and the oterh from God. So you get two time outs. One from mommy or daddy and one from God. You know how you have two Mommies (Maman and Mama Mary) and two Daddies (Daddy and God the father) well you get two time outs. But... Jesus did all those time out from God for you on the cross, so you don't have to do them. But you need to tell God that you are one of Jesus' forever friends and that he took your time out for you on the cross. (Somewhere in there I made sure to tell him that he still has to do Mommy and Daddy's time outs)
Jacob: still looking right at me....but my time is running out.
Mommy: The evangelist take over and adds "that is why it important to make sure that everyone knows about Jesus so that they don't have to do their time outs when they get to Heaven. Otherwise they will have to wait and not see God. (I didn't get into the whoel wait for a little while (aka purgatory) or wait forever (aka hell).
Jacob: When I go to heaven... you are coming with me, right (this is long lasting, converstaion ... ever since he found out that when you go to heaven you don't come back...)
Mommy: (classic line that is neither a lie, or asnwering the question, but satisfy Jacob)... We will all go to Heaven as long as we are Jesus forever friends and love God with our whole heart.
...
I stood back up,... my darling husband who had been listening in, said job well done! That meant a lot.

Later that evening, as we were drawing on the driveway (with chalk) we drew a cross and wrote in big blue letters (Jacob's favorite colour) Jesus died on the cross for my sins to be forgiven. This morning (Good Friday) he was so happy to see that it was still there.... as we got the twins in the van to go to church, he was hoping all over it,.. spelling out all the letter in Jesus' name.

No comments:

Post a Comment